Friday, September 22, 2017

BMA Pieces

Out of all the works of art that I saw in the BMA, my favorite piece was Claude Monet’s Charing Cross Bridge Reflection on the Thames. The optical colors of the piece seemed to calm me, especially since it was a water scene. My favorite part about it was the boat. Although small and not as prominent, it stood out to me the most. The steam coming from it made it even more realistic. Some of the composition that was used were radiating lines. The lines went from the building to the big bridge, and the boat to the bridge. L-shapes were also used from the buildings to the bridge. The meaning that I perceived in this painting was that of New York City. It shows the buildings and the bridges, yet it does not show the hustle and bustle that comes with these things. Instead, it was a peaceful and calming painting that eased me and made me see the beauty in all things.
The next painting that interested me was Henri Matisse’s Festival of Flowers. The dimensions and different points this work had kept my eyes moving. The composition of this piece includes L-shapes going from the balcony door to the end of the balcony, and the balcony to the rest of the work. There were also radiating lines from the palm tree to the women, and the flowers to the women. Lastly, there was the Golden Triangle where the women became the center of the work. The meaning that I perceive in this piece two people delightfully sitting on their balcony while looking over the rest of the city and road. There may be people all around, but it is important to stop and take in your surroundings, and enjoy them for what they are.

My third favorite work was Piet Mondrain’s Composition V. The lines that this has gives it a simple touch, while the colors, again, give it more optical properties. The composition of this work includes radiating lines from the blue and yellow rectangles. L-shapes appear repeating with every shape, rectangle, and square. They are present in every way that you look at it. Rule of Thirds is shown, too. When you divide the image vertically, one portion shows some white and the blue rectangle, one portion shows just the white, and one portion shows the yellow rectangle and more white. The piece means simplicity to me. There is not a lot of commotion with colors or details and images, yet it still contains a lot of depth to it. It also makes me feel happy with the little bits of color that was there.
Composition V

Festival of Flowers

Charing Cross Bridge Reflection

No comments:

Post a Comment